Solid Waste FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Helpful Tips About Your Garbage Pickup Service:

Be sure to have your garbage / poly cart out by 7:00 a.m. to ensure service on your designated collection day. Republic Waste Systems provides pickup service between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m..

Please do not overfill your poly cart, the lids should close completely. Overfilled poly carts can cause spillage during the collection process and litter your property and neighborhood streets.  Overfilled poly carts will not be serviced. Please do not put garbage bags on top of the cart. Your cart should be loose enough to come out when tipped during servicing. Tightly compacted bags or trash inside the cart may not come out when serviced. Republic Services is not responsible for garbage that spills during the collection process. All trash must be in the poly cart. Trash bags outside of the poly carts will not be collected due to the automation service.

All poly carts and recycling bins must be placed within 3 feet of the street for curbside collection. Please make sure your poly cart is not blocked by vehicles.  The collection arm on the automated truck requires space to make the collection safely. Please keep the containers away from obstacles that may interfere with the collection. Placement of your poly cart in the correct position is critical to servicing your residence as this collection is done by automation. 

I have more garbage than can fit in the cart. Can I get an additional cart or use my own?

Are you recycling? Recycling materials will give you more room in your garbage cart. Additional garbage carts are available for a fee of $6 per month and can be requested by contacting City of Richmond Customer Service Department at 281-342-5456. Residents are to use Republic Services issued garbage carts; personal trash cans are not allowed for trash collection. 
My Republic Service poly cart is damaged or missing. How can I get a replacement cart? 
Please contact the Public Works Department at 281-342-0559 and notify them of the damaged or missing cart. The cart will be repaired or replaced if it is stolen or damaged beyond repair.

What items are not accepted in the trash?

Republic Services will not pick up automobile parts, tree stumps and logs heavier than 50 pounds and greater than 4 feet in length, dirt, construction debris, concrete, bricks, rocks, roofing materials, metal poles, trampoline frames, highly volatile, toxic or hazardous chemicals, lead batteries, motor oil, tires, gasoline, paint or fence pickets with nails.

Items like construction debris; you may dispose of the material at a local landfill for a fee.

When is heavy trash/appliance pickup?

Republic Services will properly collect and dispose of four heavy items per month, per account, such as washing machines, dryers and hot water heaters, on the second Wednesday of the month. Large items and appliances are picked up at the curbside. Some large or unusually heavy items are not collected at the curbside. Please call the Public Works Department at 281.342.0559 if you have a question about a particular item.

Any appliance containing refrigerant/freon must be certified and tagged by a professional to be free of refrigerants. Our solid waste carrier will not remove the item without the certificate tag. If the item is a refrigerator/freezer, the doors must be removed before placing them out for collection. This is a safety measure to ensure that children do not get trapped inside. Residents have the option of taking uncertified appliances to the Fort Bend County Recycling and Environmental Center (281-633-7581) where they are accepted for a $10 charge. Most likely, appliance stores will take the old appliances with the purchase of new ones. 

Please Consider Recycling!

Republic Services provides once-a-week curbside/street recycling and provides each home with one free 18-gallon blue bin. The collection program is included as part of your solid waste residential collection services. Recycle bins are made available at Public Works, 600 Morton Street. Additional recycle carts are provided at no charge.

Acceptable Items in the Bin:

  • Mixed Paper: Newspapers, magazines, catalogs, phone books, office paper, school paper, junk mail, envelopes, and paperback books.

  • Cardboard, Paperboard and Paper Bags: Breakdown boxes for disposal.

  • Aluminum, Steel and Tin: Aluminum cans, foil, food trays, steel and tin cans.

  • Plastics #1 - #5 and #7: Within each chasing arrows triangle, there is a number which ranges from one to seven. The purpose of the number is to identify the type of plastic used for the product, and not all plastics are recyclable or even reusable. (#6 is not accepted. This is styrofoam.)

  • Glass Bottles and Jars: Glass bottles and jars (all colors) can be recycled in your blue recycle cart. All other types of glass, including broken glass, drinking glasses, ceramics, etc. should be put in your garbage cart.

  • Cartons: Milk, juice, broth, soup and other food and beverage cartons.

    Unacceptable items include plastic grocery bags, styrofoam, plastic wrap, aerosol cans of any type or scrap metal. 

Note: Some of the trucks used to collect recyclables look similar to regular trash trucks. Please be assured that the recyclables are sorted after collection and then delivered to the appropriate recycling site.

How do I dispose of Household Hazardous Waste?

Please dispose of your old latex paint, motor oil, transmission oil, power steering fluid, batteries and antifreeze without harming the environment. Fort Bend County's Household Hazardous Waste Center is located at 1200 Blume Road in Rosenberg. A valid driver's license or other proof of residency in Fort Bend County is required. Household hazardous waste is accepted every Monday and on the first Saturday of each month. Call the Recycle Center at 281.342.5226 for hours of operation and information regarding acceptable materials. There is no charge to dispose of less than five gallons of waste. To dispose of five or more gallons, there is a $5 fee per five-gallon volume of waste.

How can I properly dispose of paint?

Wet paint cannot be collected at the curbside. Dry paint will be collected if the lid is left off the can. To dry your leftover paint, mix cat litter or other absorbent with the wet paint and allow to dry until solid. Never pour paint or anything else down the storm drain. To properly dispose of wet paint, take your leftover paint to Fort Bend County's Household Hazardous Waste Center. Call the County's recycle center at 281.342.5226 for hours of operation and additional information. There is no charge to dispose of less than five gallons of waste. To dispose of five or more gallons, there is a $5 fee per five-gallon volume of waste.

How do I properly dispose of tree limbs and brush?

Bulky items such as yard trimmings and tree limbs are collected every Wednesday. Bundled tree limbs/trimmings and hedge cuttings shall not exceed four (4) feet in length or four (4) inches in diameter. Tree stumps and large limbs shall be no longer than two feet in length and have a diameter equal to or less than 6 inches.

If you have any questions regarding your service, please call:

City of Richmond Public Works Department - 281.342.0559