Residential Services

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

residential sanitation

The City of Richmond contracts with Republic Services for curbside garbage and recycling services.

Each residence is provided one 96-gallon poly cart. We recommend that the customers place their garbage in bags and then place the bags in the poly cart. This will keep your poly cart clean and sanitary. 

All solid waste, recycling, heavy item (once-a-month) and lawn/limb compost shall be placed at the curb no later than 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection.



City of Richmond 2019 Fall Clean Up Campaign - Updated 10/15/2019 - Flyer/Map

The City of Richmond and Republic Services will be hosting a Curbside Fall “Household Items Only” Clean Up Campaign on the following dates:

UPDATED 10/15/2019

Saturday, October 19th - This one day collection will be for the residents in Williams Ranch (WR MUD 1) and the remainder of the City.

Saturday, October 26th - This one day collection will be for the residents in Del Webb (MUD 187).

(Other parts of the City were collected on 10/5 and 10/12)

LIMIT: 20 CUBIC YARDS (20 Cubic Yards = 15 Feet Long x 12 Feet Wide, and 3 Feet Tall.)

This Clean Up Campaign EXCLUDES Riverwood (MUD 19), Canyon Gate and Canyon Lakes (MUD 116), Riverpark West (MUD 121), and Rivers Edge Subdivision (MUD 140).

2020 SPRING DOCUMENT SHRED EVENT - The Document Shred Event will return in the Spring of 2020.

For questions regarding the Clean Up Campaign, please call Richmond Public Works at 281-342-0559.



We offer twice a week curbside residential solid waste (automation) collection. Republic Service issued poly carts and recycling bins must be placed within 3 feet of the street for curbside collection. Please make sure your poly cart is not blocked by vehicles.  The collection arm on the automated truck requires space to make the collection safely. Please keep the containers away from obstacles that may interfere with the collection. Placement of your poly cart in the correct position is critical to servicing your residence as this collection is done by automation. All trash must be in the poly cart. Trash bags outside of the poly carts will not be collected due to the automation service.

I have more garbage than can fit in the cart. Can I get an additional cart or use my own? Are you recycling? Recycling materials will give you more room in your garbage cart. Additional garbage carts are available for a fee of $6 per month and can be requested by contacting City of Richmond Customer Service Department at 281-342-5456. Residents are to use Republic Services issued garbage carts; personal trash cans are not allowed for trash collection. 

My Republic Service poly cart is damaged or missing. How can I get a replacement cart? Please contact the Public Works Department at 281-342-0559 and notify them of the damaged or missing cart. The cart will be repaired or replaced if it is stolen or damaged beyond repair.


City of Richmond Interactive Map for Solid Waste Pickup Days.  Please scroll to or type your address into the address locator search bar (found in the top right-hand corner of the map), and click on your residence to activate a pop-up displaying the address information, subdivision sections, utility districts, and their allotted days for solid waste pick-up (if applicable).


Residents are given a recycling bin to recycle the following items:

  • Mixed paper
  • Cardboard, paperboard, and paper bags
  • Aluminum, steel and tin
  • Plastics #1 - #5 and #7
  • Glass Bottles and Jars
  • Cartons


Lawn clippings and tree limbs are collected every Wednesday. Bundled tree limbs/trimmings and hedge cuttings shall not exceed four (4) feet in length or four (4) inches in diameter. Tree stumps and large limbs shall be no longer than two feet in length and have a diameter equal to or less than 6 inches. Each bundle cannot weigh more than 50 pounds. Bags of lawn clippings cannot weigh more than 50 pounds. Contractor shall collect up to 15 cubic yards of unbundled tree limbs from any one resident on collection day. The blue Poly Carts for trash are not to be used for disposal of yard debris. This type of debris is taken to Living Earth Technologies for composting and not to the landfill, thereby conserving landfill space.


Four heavy items are allowed for a once-a-month collection on the second Wednesday of the month. As a reminder, construction debris is not accepted. Residents are responsible for disposal of the construction debris at a local landfill for a fee.

We ask that each household dispose of old tires, motor oil, transmission fluid, anti-freeze, oil filters, power steering fluid, lead acid batteries, cell phone batteries, VCR batteries, button batteries and all rechargeable batteries at the Fort Bend County Recycling and Environmental Center located at 1200 Blume Road. Their telephone numbers are 281.633.7581 or 281.342.5226. Also, motor oil can be taken for recycling to Jiffy Lube or a like store. Common non-rechargeable household batteries can be disposed of in your regular household trash.

Wet paint cannot be collected at the curbside. Dry paint will be collected if the lid is left off the can. To dry your leftover paint, mix cat litter or other absorbent with the wet paint and allow to dry until solid. Never pour paint or anything else down the storm drain. To properly dispose of wet paint, take your leftover paint to Fort Bend County Recycling and Environmental Center. There is a fee of $1 per gallon up to 14 gallons and $5 per gallon for 15th gallon up. This is based on container capacity and not actual contents.

Any appliance containing refrigerant/freon must be certified and tagged by a professional to be free of refrigerants. Our solid waste carrier will not remove the item without the certificate tag. If the item is a refrigerator/freezer, the doors must be removed before placing them out for collection. This is a safety measure to ensure that children do not get trapped inside.

Residents have the option of taking uncertified appliances to the Fort Bend County Recycling and Environmental Center where they are accepted for a $10 charge. Most likely, appliance stores will take the old appliances with the purchase of new ones.

Residents should take household compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) to the Fort Bend County Recycling and Environmental Center or you can take them to any Home Depot. This free service allows customers to bring in any expired, unbroken CFL bulbs, and give them to the associate at the returns desk.

Unacceptable curbside items include automobile parts, dirt, construction debris, concrete, bricks, rocks, roofing materials, metal poles, hazardous materials, lead batteries, motor oil, tires, gasoline, paint, cactus plants with large thorns, landscape timbers over two feet long or fence pickets with nails and large electronic devices (i.e. televisions).  Items like construction debris; you may dispose of the material at a local landfill for a fee. Other items for example motor, oil, tires, gasoline, paint etc.; please contact the Fort Bend County Recycling Center for disposal.